Skip to main content

Benefits of Protective styling

Since being natural for 5 years going on 6 I have grown my hair to bra strap length. Now I'm at arm pit length due to me slacking on my routine during pregnancy. I love to style my hair in many different styles and experiment with hair color. I would be at waist length if I had kept up with protective styling like I did when I first started my journey. I love how diverse my hair is and it tempts me to play in my hair all the time. I used to roller set my hair weekly as a protective style when I was transitioning. Roller setting my hair helped tremendously with me retaining length, but as my hair grew longer I did not like roller sets in my hair.

My next got to style was buns, I loved my buns and I became a pro at making my bun flawless. After so long of wearing a bun you have to consider your edges and my edges were definitely taking a hit so I had to improvise. I went back to the basics and start to wear my hair in single braids. Not small braids just simple plot braids aka Celie braids.

Why are protective styles are beneficial:

  1. Retains your growth:   I retain the most length when I protective style. I love that I can keep a style in for a week or two and feel my new growth.
  2. Low maintenance:  You can moisturize, seal and go with out styling your hair. Throw a flower, headband, or knitted cap on to dress up your hair style.
  3. Saves time:   No need to stress over detangling your hair or figuring out what style you can do. Especially if your go to styles take a lot of time.
  4. Versatile:   The amount of styles you can try are endless and they can be worn for more than a week. A few styles you can try are plot braids, up-dos, mini twists, french braids,roller sets, flexi rod set, and many more.
Below are some pictures of styles you can try.





My #1 goal is to have healthy hair! This fall and winter I plan to wear protective styles 95% of the time unless I want to wear a braid out for an occasion. This December I plan to get my hair flat ironed and get my ends trimmed. I had my ends trimmed in June and they weren't that bad but I want them to be better so I'm going to protective style my hair as much as I can so that also means no heat!!!

Comments